Sunday, October 25, 2009

Drawing Closer To The Savior

I've been doing a lot of thinking and contemplating on how I could come closer to God and my Savior. Many things have happened since my last post. Neill was laid off from work, so Neill and I are going to move to Pocatello where I can be closer to my job. We are apartment hunting right now, which is coming along , but nevertheless tiring.

I have been worrying about how to pay bills, how to survive, and how to get to work. During all of this worrying I finally realized I was worrying about the wrong things. I needed to start focusing on my relationship w/my Heavenly Father. I started reading a book by Elder Eyring called "To Draw Closer To God." I was reading a Chapter called "Come Unto Christ." This is a quote from the book:

"I have one other plea, one other hope for you: don't' ignore the impulses that come to you to rise above yourself into a higher and more beautiful word. Growing up, getting educated, seeing the world, and almost everything that happens to you will push to toward saying to yourself: "Oh, that was just a dream. That's not possible. I could never change that much." You can. The Savior promised, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." He can and he will. I bear you my testimony that you can ivite the Holy Ghost into your life, and because you have been promised that gift by authorized servants of God, he will come. I bear testiony that you can be cleansed by the power of the Atonement. The yearning you've felt for something better is a yearning to come unto Christ. This promise in section 19 of the Doctrine and Covenants is true: "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me." (D&C 19:23) pg. 59

I finally felt like my Heavenly Father was listening to me. His servant was speaking to me indivdually. I don't know what is in store for me, but I know my Heavenly Father is listening to me and I am very grateful I am not in this alone in this world. I will keep everyone updated on what is going on in our lives, and if you need a good book to read "To Draw Closer To God" by Henry B. Eyring is a great book.

Emily :)



1 comment:

Shelley Gee said...

That was a great post. Very thought provoking. I have that book, but have never taken the time to read it, maybe I will have to make the time now!